20070615

Sesnsory Deprivation, a fucking ripoff

I tried the sensory deprivation experiment this afternoon. I prepared by shutting off my room, lights off, door closed, shades down, and so on. I then lay on my bed, covered my eyes with a mask, and put earplugs on, checked my crashbox, and went exploring.

Initial preparations were encouraging, as I felt a sensitivity in my skin and tinnitus like effects. I experienced some closed eye visual along with a sudden suppression of conscious thought at an estimate 20 minutes. However, not more became of this, and I exited the experiment at BLT 1:30 when I realized I had fallen asleep and was dreaming. Because I could not check to see if my crashbox was recording in the dark, all actual data was lost. The only linger effects were extreme difficult writing this post, which may be attributed to just having woken up.

My dreams involved being trapped in the Dabney computer lab with a couple of nerds arguing about the best way to install a cracked version of CnC 3 on the lab machines, so sensory deprivation may hold promise as a method of torture.

--Biff-"sticking to chemistry"-motron


1 comment:

  1. I would assume that unless you have something like a float tank, you're not going to get particularly interesting results until the timescale prevents simply being able to sleep through the experience (at least in any standard sense).

    Had the dean not simply resorted to threats, I might be finding out that the same holds for a not-particularly-stressful 60-hour experiment too, though.

    ReplyDelete